>How To Claim Yourself - Car Finance

If you took out a car finance agreement before January 2021, you may have been overcharged due to hidden commissions. While many people turn to claims management companies (CMCs) for assistance, you are also able to claim yourself if you wish to do so.

This guide provides a clear, step-by-step approach to help you understand car finance commission, determine if you are eligible for compensation, and successfully file your own claim.

Should you have any other questions, you can contact us directly on info@claim.co.uk.

> How Can You Claim By Yourself?

Many people may wish to claim car finance compensation by themselves without the help of lawyers or claims management companies. claim.co.uk want to give people as much information as possible to do this. Here is how you can do it:


  1. Gather Information:

Collect any documents related to your car finance agreement, such as the finance contract, policy number, initial disclosure documents, and any communication from the dealer or finance provider.

If you can’t find these documents, check your credit report, or contact your finance provider for details.


  1. Check for Commission Details:

Review your paperwork to see if there is any mention of commissions. If it is not clear, you should still proceed with your complaint.


  1. Write a Complaint:

Draft a formal complaint to your finance provider (we provide a template below). Explain that you believe you were overcharged due to a discretionary commission arrangement and provide as much detail as possible.


  1. Submit Your Complaint:

Send your complaint to your finance provider. Ensure you send it via a method that provides proof of delivery, such as recorded mail or email with a read receipt.


  1. Keep Records:

Maintain copies of all correspondence, including your complaint and any responses you receive. This will be important if you need to escalate your complaint.

> Template Email/Letter To Your Finance Provider

Subject: Information Request Regarding Motor Finance Commission

Dear Sir/Madam,

 Policy Number: [Policy Number]

Account Name: [Full Name]

 On 11 January 2024, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) initiated an investigation into historical motor finance commission arrangements that may have been unfair. This has led me to consider that I may have been affected by such practices. As I had a finance agreement with your firm, I am seeking clarification on the following points: 

  1. Request for Information:

I am requesting details on my finance agreement with you, reference [enter policy number]. Specifically, I would like to know if there was any discretionary commission arrangement between you and the broker/car dealer or any other entity involved in the transaction. Please provide this information within one calendar month from the date of this communication.

For clarity, this request is solely for information purposes and is not a complaint or expression of dissatisfaction. It is not subject to the FCA’s current pause on handling complaints. If you fail to comply with this request, please treat it as a data subject access request under the Data Protection Act 2018/GDPR. 

  1. If Discretionary Commission Is Found:

If there was a discretionary commission arrangement related to my finance agreement, I request that you treat this communication as a formal complaint. This complaint arises from the commission arrangement and the fact that it was not adequately disclosed at the time the agreement was made. The complaint should be considered as filed on the date of this communication. Please confirm within one calendar month that you have registered my complaint accordingly.

Thank you for your prompt attention to these matters.

Details that may help you find my policy:

 Name: [Insert Name]

 Date of birth: [Date of birth]

 Current address: [Current address]

 Finance agreement policy number: [Finance Policy number]

 Vehicle number plate: [Registration Number]

 Yours sincerely,


> What Are Your Steps After A Complaint?

Once you have submitted the above letter to your finance provider, follow these steps to ensure your claim is handled properly:

  1. Wait for a Response:
  • Under DSAR rules, your finance provider has up to one month to reply to request for initial information, though, in our experience, they often do not reply in this timeframe. Make sure to chase them if they do not.
  • If a formal complaint is filed, the finance provider has up to 20th November 2024 to respond due to temporary FCA rules.


  1. Evaluate the Response:
  • If your car finance provider admits fault and offers compensation, carefully review the offer to ensure it covers the interest overpaid and any additional costs. If you are satisfied, you can accept the offer.
  • If the response is unsatisfactory or your complaint is rejected, consider your next steps.


  1. Escalate if Unsatisfied
  • If you are unhappy with the final response or if your complaint is rejected, you can escalate the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
  • You have 15 months from the date of the final response to do this. The FOS will independently review your complaint and the finance provider’s response.


  1. Await the Outcome
  • The FOS will assign a case handler who will get in touch when they start to investigate. If they find in your favour, they will instruct the finance provider to compensate you appropriately.


  1. Consider Legal Action:
  • If you disagree with the FOS decision, your final option is to take legal action, though this may require legal advice and could involve costs.


  1. Keep Track of Deadlines
  • Set reminders for important deadlines, such the one-month DSAR deadline, the 20th November complaint response deadline, and the 15-month window for escalating to the FOS. This ensures you do not miss any critical dates in the complaint process.
  • By following these steps, you can ensure that your car finance complaint is handled efficiently and effectively, maximising your chances of receiving any compensation you are entitled to.

> Useful Links

Disclaimer:  This guide is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. For specific legal advice regarding your situation, please consult with a qualified legal professional.

> How Can Claim.co.uk Help With My Car Finance Claim?

Claim.co.uk offers a comprehensive service designed to support individuals in pursuing claims for mis-sold car finance claims.

We have partnered with the law firms across the country to ensure that you claim is dealt with by the most appropriate legal professional.

We also give you free access to our guides which explain in detail the potential claim and whether or not you may be eligible.

Our online eligibility tool allows you to quickly determine if you might have a valid claim for mis-sold car finance, saving you time and providing initial guidance at no cost.

Our streamlined process, expert guidance, and commitment to your success provide a solid foundation for pursuing your claim with confidence. Find out today if you are eligible to claim compensation for a car finance claim.

> Start Your Claim

Enter your basic info and we'll search for all your car finance agreements between 2014-2020 so you can easily start your claims.


> Important Claim Information

  • Secret Commission may have been paid on your car finance agreement, and thousands could be owed after the FCA found commission paid on 95% of agreements
  • Each agreement could be worth £1000s in recovered interest payments
  • You don't need to still be in contract.
  • Cars, vans and motorbikes are all included.
  • All major, prime lenders are being investigated.
Start Your Claim*

*You do not need to use a claims management company to make a car finance claim. You have the right to complain directly to the lender and use the Financial Ombudsman Service to seek redress for free.

Claim Categories: